While searching for details about Mr Maxey online, we have discovered a startling bit of information about a Mr James Maxey living in Hainford, Duchy of Lancashire. It seems that his wife Dinah Maxey and her daughter Elizabeth Smith (from a previous marriage) were poisoned while at breakfast by arsenic, which had been infused into the water which was used to make their tea!
The last bit states that James Maxey “has been committed to Norwich gaol on suspicion”…which is where our own Mr Maxey lived and delivered his tea many years later…
The Gentleman’s Magazine, Volume 83, Part 1; Volume 113
We believe our Mr Maxey’s reputation remains unblemished.